Paleo Diet Grocery List
Before analyzing grocery list for Paleo diet to achieving healthy life and preventing diseases, we need to what paleo diet is.
The Paleo Diet is referred to as the ‘Hunter Gatherer Diet’ because it consists of food that can be hunted (such as meat or seafood) and gathered (such as fruits, nuts, vegetables, etc.). The core principle of the Paleo Diet is that humans takes the diet used by our ancestors and applies it to modern-day foods. The key is that the Paleo diet contains foods that have very high nutritional value, such as lean meats, seafood, fruits, and vegetables. This type of diet also cut down foods that created after agriculture revolution, such as grains, dairy products, sugar, and salt because these products can lead to an increase in weight and a higher chance of developing health problems such as cardio vascular disease, diabetes, and others.
Understanding that the Paleo diet is based on the foods that the cavemen ate, you will need to stay away from all foods that are packaged or processed. Our ancestors did not eat these foods since they were not existed at that time. Foods are considered fatty should be avoided; these include chicken wings, products, pork sausage, salami, chicken skin, turkey skin, pepperoni, bacon, fatty pork and lamb chops, breakfast sausage, and spam.
In addition, wheat and grain products are no good for paleo diet. The cavemen lived before the age of agriculture. Even the grains that claim to be “gluten-free” are not recommended for the Paleo diet. In summary, the daily meals would not include following foods: barley, corn, millet, oats, rice, rye, wheat, and wild rice. Any foods that are made from these products cannot be eaten as well. These foods include amaranth, bread, buckwheat, cakes, cookies, corn chips, corn on the cob, corn starch, corn syrup, donuts, flat bread, muffins, pasta, pancakes, pita bread, pizza, quinoa, rice cakes, rice flour, rice noodles, rice pudding, rolled oats, rolls, rye crackers, and tortillas.
Many foods are listed on the Paleo diet “do not eat” grocery list. But there are also many foods that can be eaten and enjoyed. Those who have experienced and stuck with the Paleo diet have found that there are a great variety of meals that they can eat. Meat, Vegetables and fruits are the main category of foods which paleo diet focus upon. Egg is also recommended for paleo diet meal. You can enjoy an omelet made with two eggs that contains fresh produce like mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, and onions. You can also enjoy snacks of fresh fruits and vegetables such as berries, raw carrots, and celery.
When shopping around a grocery store, think about the diet of a caveman and the 3 category of foods: meat, vegetables and fruits. Below is the paleo diet grocery list that can help maintaining a healthy lifestyle:
- Meat – very important for paleo diet. Choose variety of lean meat, fish and seafood: sausages, poultry cuts, filets, crab, ground meats, chicken and pork.
- Vegestables – Spend your time wisely in this area for paleo diet. Select fresh, organic and fibrous vegetables. Avoid the one with a lot starch such as potatoes.
- Coniferous – cauliflower, broccoli
- Onions – sweet, yellow, white, red
- Greens – asparagus, cabbage, kale, spinach, lettuce, romaine
- Tomatoes – roma, grape, green, cherry
- Others – cucumber, celery, seaweed, beets, carrots, bell pepper, mushroom, raddish, eggplant, basil, and garlic.
- Nuts – consider as a snack food since they are high in protein, unsaturated fats and fiber. The good list is: walnuts, cashews, chestnuts, hazelnuts, almonds and pecans.
- Fruits – recommended for paleo diet. These include: apple, avocado, banana, berries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, grapes, guava, kiwi, lemon, mango, melon, orange, pears, papaya, pineapple, plums, and tangerine.
- Beverage – avoid drinking all sugar soft drinks. When it comes to choosing beverage for paleo diet, water is the best option. Try to drink purified water.
- Grains and Bakery – although they could be tempting, avoid everything in this area.
- Cook wares – charcoal grill is the best friend of paleo diet. Other tools such as pot, pan, and gas grill can also be good when preparing paleo meals.
The best part of the Paleo diet is that it will eventually slow your digestive process. You will feel fuller for longer periods of time. So when you are partaking in the Paleo diet, you should only eat when you are hungry. Don’t worry if you skip the occasional meal. Your body will let you know when you are hungry.